Nanok still held, Ethuro freed pending charges

November 18, 2012 10:59 am


Munyes, Nanok and Ethuro at the news conference that promoted the police to summon them/CFM-File
NAIROBI, Kenya Nov 18 – Assistant Wildlife Minister Josephat Nanok is still being held by the police after his arrest on Friday night, and is likely to appear in court on Monday.

The Turkana South MP was arrested following comments he made in the company of lawmakers John Munyes and Ekwe Ethuro, which appeared to defend the killing of 48 police officers in Baragoi a week ago.

“He is still in custody. He is being interrogated and may appear in court tomorrow (Monday),” a senior police officer with knowledge on the probe told Capital FM News.

“He is likely to face incitement to violence charges,” the officer said in regard to statements the lawmakers issued on Thursday.

“The police should have spoken to us to go and convince elders in the region to facilitate the return of the cattle instead of raiding the manyattas. The police wanted to go shell the communities… the young men in the villages could not wait for that, they armed themselves and decided they should face them (police) out in the valley, and if you have never fought in the valley you cannot survive,” Labour Minister Munyes said.

The MPs also opposed the use of the military in pursuing the attackers saying it was an affront against the Turkana.

When they learnt they were being sought, Nanok said the comments were made in the precincts of Parliament and were therefore privileged.

He had intimated he would report to the police at his own time after consulting his lawyer, but was attested after appearing on a live TV show late on Friday night.

Ethuro presented himself at the CID headquarters on Saturday afternoon and was questioned but later released.

“He was set free on bond because he cooperated with the police by presenting himself,” a police officer at the CID headquarters said.

He is likely to face charges alongside Nanok.

Munyes has not been questioned and police said they are still looking for him.

The three were summoned on Friday, a day after their sensational press conference at Parliament buildings.

CID director Ndegwa Muhoro said they wanted to question the three MPs on what they knew about the attack following their statements.

Latest Articles

News Podcasts