, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 7 – Suspended Deputy Chief Justice Nancy Baraza was on Tuesday weighing her options a day after a tribunal recommended her removal from the Judiciary.
Her lawyer, Kioko Kilukumi said he was still waiting for directions from Baraza.
“I’m still waiting for directions from my client, once she makes a decision we will go by it,” he told Capital FM News on phone.
Baraza has until August 16 to appeal to the Supreme Court to challenge the decision of the tribunal.
The tribunal investigating her conduct recommended her removal from the Judiciary for assaulting security guard Rebecca Kerubo and threatening to shoot her on New Year’s Eve at the Village Market shopping mall.
The seven-member tribunal chaired by former Chief Justice of Tanzania Augustino Ramadhani advised President Mwai Kibaki to remove Baraza – who is also the Vice President of the Supreme Court – from office.
Following the decision of the tribunal, Kerubo who spoke to the media asked the government to provide her with security. She also welcomed the decision of the tribunal saying she was happy the truth about the incident had been unearthed.
Through her lawyer Irungu Keng’ata, Kerubo urged the Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko to open criminal charges against Baraza for physical assault and issuing threats
Tobiko issued a statement on Monday promising to peruse the file and make a decision.
Keng’ata said his client will advise him if he should push for compensation from Baraza, but said they were more interested in justice for Kerubo and not money.
The tribunal said Baraza’s testimony had discrepancies while Kerubo was consistent and believed that Baraza threatened to shoot her and also pinched her nose.
Baraza was appointed last year under a new Constitution, part of wide-ranging reforms to make Kenyan leaders more accountable, after the deadly 2008 post-election violence.