Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Capital News
Hellen Aruwa (r) with her daughter Sylvia at the home in Embakasi/CFM


USIU student found dead a week after kidnap

Hellen Aruwa (r) with her daughter Sylvia at their home in Embakasi/CFM

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 8- A 24 year old student at USIU has been found murdered a week after she was kidnapped outside the campus compound.

The family found her body at the City Mortuary seven days after she was taken captive.

Police said the body of Sarah Aruwa was found a day after she was reported kidnapped in a thicket in Githunguri before it was taken to the morgue.

Relatives of the fourth year International Relations student have been searching for her for nearly a week after her kidnapping early last Saturday near the university based in Kasarani.

The kidnappers had demanded Sh100,000 ransom immediately they kidnapped her before they went quiet after police started trailing them.

Police said they are investigating an alleged kidnapping ring at the private university after an upsurge of similar abductions.

Last week, one USIU student and his girlfriend who studies at the Kiambu Institute of Science and Technology were arraigned before the Makadara law courts and charged with a similar incident of abduction.

They denied the charges and were remanded in custody until Wednesday next week.

Aruwa’s body was picked by police on Monday after being informed by the public and took it to the City Mortuary where they booked it as unidentified.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Speaking journalist on Sunday her mother Helen Aruwa said the kidnappers had asked for Sh100,000 ransom before killing her.

Police have arrested three suspects who are allegedly believed to have participated in the kidnapping.

“They sent a text message on phone demanding us to send them money within a minute, but I feel by that time Sarah had already been killed. I feel those people just wanted to kill her, because so many people have been kidnapped even for one month and they survive, and for Sarah she was dead in less than 24 hours,” the mother said.

Her kidnappers seem to have beaten her up before they brutally murdered her and later dumped the body in the plantation on July 1.

The mother said that one of the suspects who is a student at USIU had been pursuing her for a love relationship and that Saturday Sarah had decided to visit him at his apartment at Savannah area In Nairobi’s Eastlands area.

“The neighbours who saw her that Saturday said she was dressed in yellow. But apart from few key features that her sister Sylvia recognized, it was hard to identify her since her body was disfigured, “ her mother said.

The mother said when they broke into her house they found a note that she had written and left on the table saying she was going to visit her college mate who has turned out to be one of those in custody over her kidnapping and now killing.

“It has always been her habit to leave a note behind when she suspects danger, “said the elder sister Sylvia Aruwa.

Apparently, the gang had hired a taxi that they were using in moving around with the deceased.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Among those in custody is a girlfriend to the college mate that Sarah had gone to visit, who told police that her boyfriend and another man dropped her in Thika on the material day and informed her to find her way back to Kiambu where they stayed.

“This girl told the police that the boyfriend told someone on phone, that they should hurry and go and pick that girl who wears glasses,” explained the mother.

Sarah Aruwa’s body was found a day after she was reported kidnapped in a thicket in Githunguri before it was taken to the morgue/CFM

The mother is now asking for the three not to be released on bail, fearing that if it comes out that they truly murdered her daughter; they stand a threat to the rest of the students.

“Now that the whole story is out, there is need for thorough investigations to find out if they are guilty or not, before they are released. My other problem is that the school doesn’t even seem concerned about the issue, even after we went there asking for the names of the suspects, “ Mrs Aruwa added.

 The late Sarah is a member of triplets. Her other two sisters are both doctors in Kinangop and Bungoma.

Her sister Sylvia recounts the last moments with the triplets during their birthday on the 17 of June 2012.

“I took them all out; we spent at a Chinese restaurant in Yaya, like the whole day, just having fun. Then on that Sunday the rest traveled back. Sarah on Thursday last week told me she was done with her exams, so she was just in the house; now on Saturday is when we got the news, “said Sylvia trying to holdback her tears

The three suspects will be arraigned in court on Wednesday but with charges of kidnapping.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

More on Capital News