NAIROBI, Kenya, May 29 – Prime Minister Raila Odinga has said that the government will pay the hospital bills of those injured in the Monday bomb blast on Moi Avenue.
By Tuesday evening, the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) still had four survivors admitted, two of them in the Intensive Care Unit with various degrees of burns.
Of the 38 people wounded in the Monday blast, 23 have been discharged from the Kenyatta National Hospital while one was transferred to Nairobi Hospital.
Odinga who spoke after visiting the four still admitted at the KNH insisted that Kenya would not be cowed by attacks on innocent civilians.
“We wish those who were injured quick recovery alongside those who lost property in the explosion. I have given an undertaking that the government is going to meet all the expenses (costs of treatment) for all those who were injured in the blast,” said the PM.
He urged that police be given ample time to conduct investigations into the matter and asked the public to always report to the police any information they may have of suspicious persons.
The PM insisted that police will have nothing to hide if they apprehend the suspects behind the blast following questions on the ability of the police to conclusively investigate previous similar matters.
“These are criminal files which remain open indefinitely; the mere fact that the criminals are not produced today does not mean that they cannot be produced tomorrow. It is not a question of hours or days, there is a determination to get to the root of the matter,” he defended the Police saying that the planners of such activities were sophisticated.
He said that Kenyan people needed to be trained on how to respond to situations such as the blast that happened on Monday afternoon.
Police had a difficult time controlling surging crowds that wanted to have a look at the destruction; oblivious of the dangers they were exposing themselves to.
Further the PM called on local authorities to fast track the process of installation of CCTV cameras to help track movements of people.
Earlier on Tuesday, Nairobi Metropolitan Development Minister Jamleck Kamau said a Sh11 billion project for installation of Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras in Nairobi, will kick of next week with the advertisement of an international tender.
Kamau indicated that a control room for the cameras is to be installed at the Nairobi Provincial Police Headquarters within the next three months.
Police on Tuesday evening said that they were looking for two suspects believed to have been involved in the attack.
Police Spokesman Eric Kiraithe said they are compiling data on the two suspects which will be released to the public soon.
“We have been given a clear description of the two suspects and are now piecing together the information. These are the two people who were involved in the attack,” Kiraithe said of the men, one of them said to have left a bag in a shop in the building before the explosion went off.