Club owner held after shooting Nairobi reveller dead

May 8, 2012 6:04 am


Jackson Maina is expected to face a murder charge on Wednesday/MUTHONI NJUKI
NAIROBI, Kenya May 8 – One of the directors of Club Click on Nairobi’s Baricho road has been arrested after he allegedly shot and killed a reveller early on Tuesday morning.

The director identified by police as Jackson Maina Wangui, who is a licensed firearm holder, is reported to have drawn his gun following a commotion in the club.

Area divisional police Chief Thomas Atuti said officers from the Industrial Area station were called to the club soon after the shooting and picked up the director and a bouncer.

“We have arrested a director of the club who is known as Jackson Maina Wangui. He is a licensed firearm holder but the circumstances that led to this shooting are questionable and that is why we want to carry out an investigation to know the truth,” Atuti said.

The incident occurred at about 3am as party-goers were winding up their night-long carousing at the club which is popular for reggae music on Mondays.

On Tuesday morning Maina – who is popularly known to his friends as Jack – was taken to the club in handcuffs to recount to officers what happened leading to the shooting.

The area police chief said the club director and the bouncer told them the commotion started in the bar on the 2nd floor before they took the dead patron to the rooftop on the 4th floor.

“We are trying to understand… if the commotion was on the second floor, how did they end up with the man to the rooftop? And what are the circumstances that led him to open fire?” the OCPD said.

The man was shot in the head at point blank range and died instantly.

As Maina took the officers around the scene on Tuesday, he spoke in a low tone to the officers as he led them up upstairs.

A pool of blood was still visible at the spot where the man was shot. Police took photographs and collected pieces of evidence to assist them in the investigation.

“There are a lot of questions that need to be answered here. We are told the commotion was all about a stolen phone, but we have not been able to get any complainant to say his or her phone was lost. There is no phone which was recovered from the deceased person… these are the issues we are investigating,” Atuti said.

Police said they would also interrogate witnesses at the club, including waiters whose statements are crucial in the investigation. The workers at club were not willing to speak to the media.

Area divisional CID chief Zack Nangulo said Maina will be arraigned in court on Wednesday to face a murder charge.

Police said they had taken fingerprints from the dead man to help identify him, because no documents were found on him.


Latest Articles

News Podcasts

Most Viewed