Abducted man found dead at city morgue

January 10, 2012 4:45 pm


The body Collins Limiri Muriungi was found at the city mortuary/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 10 – A clinical officer who was abducted along with another man on December 30, 2011 has been found dead a day after his family pleaded with his kidnappers to free him.

The bodies of 32-year-old clinical officer Collins Limiri Muriungi and Stephen Kinyua were found dumped at the city mortuary on Tuesday after an unidentified person reportedly called the family and told them to go check at the morgue.

Capital News had posted the photograph of Muriungi on its website on Monday after an interview with his wife who resides in Nakuru.

“Our relatives have gone to the city mortuary and they have been able to identify the bodies. It has ended the agony of the search for my husband but it is still shocking. Why did they have to kill him?” the late Muriungi’s wife Beatrice Khaseke told us on telephone from Nakuru.

Records at the city mortuary indicate the bodies were taken there last week by police officers from Mwiki police station.

“The bodies appeared like they had been soaked in water and stayed there for a while but they have been identified. They had gunshot wounds,” another relative of the deceased man said.

The two men were kidnapped from Athi River on December 30 by men who claimed to be police officers, according to the family.

Muriungi was a clinical officer in charge of TB Coordination in Kerugoya while the other man was said to be a businessman.

The latter had gone to be shown a chemist Muriungi was selling in Athi River when the men claiming to be police officers stormed and took both of them away.

“An attendant at the chemist told us that the men who had taken them away had identified themselves as police officers but when we went to the police station, they denied holding them. That is when we thought that they must have been kidnapped,” Khaseke said adding “I have never been contacted for ransom but the family of the other man was contacted by people asking for Sh5 million.”

Police had been trying to trace the user of the mobile number used to call the family.

“We wanted to sell the chemist and my husband had brought this other man to come and see it because he had expressed interest; we are told that is when unidentified people came with guns and bundled them into a car claiming they were police officers,” Khaseke said in an interview with Capital News on Monday, a day before the two bodies were discovered.

The couple had two children. Their first born is four years old while the younger one is three months old.

On Tuesday, Police Spokesman Eric Kiraithe told Capital News an investigation and search for the kidnappers was underway and regretted the deaths.

“Our officers are in hot pursuit of the kidnappers. They must be brought to book. It is just a matter of time,” Kiraithe said.

Cases of kidnapping were common in the country four years ago, prompting Police Headquarters to form a special police squad to deal with the matter.

Several suspected kidnappers were shot dead at the time and others prosecuted in court.


Latest Articles

News Podcasts