, ENTEBBE, Nov 11 – President Yoweri Museveni of Uganda and President Pierre Nkurunziza of Burundi have separately reaffirmed their backing of the war against the Somalia based terror militia group Al Shabaab, when they received special messages from President Mwai Kibaki.
The special messages were delivered to the two presidents in Entebbe and Bujumbura respectively by Foreign Affairs Minister Moses Wetangula and Defence Minister Yusuf Haji.
Speaking in Entebbe after receiving the special message from President Kibaki, President Museveni emphasised that his government backed Kenya’s right to self defence, territorial integrity and security of its people.
“On behalf of the government and the people of Uganda and on my own behalf, I wish to express our solidarity with the government and the people of Kenya in the war against Al Shabaab,” President Museveni said.
Recalling that the Al Shabaab terror group last year bombed Uganda causing the death of over 70 Ugandans, President Museveni said the war against Al Shabaab is not Kenya’s alone but the whole region.
President Museveni said the region was pooling its resources to wipe out the operations of the Al Shabaab which portend great threat to peace, security and development.
On his part, President Nkurunziza said his government appreciated Kenya’s role in regional peace and fully supports the ongoing operation against the Al Shabaab.
President Nkurunziza added that the government of Burundi viewed any threat to Kenya’s security as its own threat and will do whatever is required to eliminate it.
Addressing the press in Bujumbura after delivering President Kibaki’s special message to President Nkurunziza, Foreign Affairs Minister Wetangula said Kenya is happy with the support it is receiving from all parts of the world and particularly the East African region in the war against Al Shabaab.
The Foreign Affairs Minister particularly said Kenya appreciated Uganda’s and Burundi’s contribution of peacekeeping troops Somalia.