, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 4 – A journalist who was being sought over the death of former NTV reporter Wambui Kabiru has now surrendered to the police.
Moses Dola Otieno, popularly known to his friends as Otoyo, surrendered at the Naivasha police station on Wednesday afternoon, after three days on the run.
Rift Valley Provincial Police Officer (PPO) Francis Munyambu said the journalist was being questioned at the Naivasha police station and was due to be moved to Nairobi to face more questioning.
"The suspect is in our custody, he showed up this afternoon and confirmed that he was the one who was being sought over the murder of his wife," Mr Munyambu said.
The PPO told Capital News the suspect had told police he learnt that he was being sought after reading newspapers and watching television.
"As matters stand right now, he is just a suspect, ours is just to keep him safely here and get him through to our counterparts in Nairobi where the incident occurred. We can\’t say if he is guilty or not," he added.
Another officer told Capital News that the suspect had told the police he surrendered because he feared he may be killed because he was being sought by the police.
Nairobi Provincial Police chief Antony Kibuchi had told Capital News earlier on Wednesday that detectives were pursuing crucial leads and hoped to arrest the journalist before the end of the week.
Mr Otieno has been on the run since Sunday after his wife was found strangled in their bedroom.
The family\’s house help told police that she heard the man telling his two-year old son that he was going to town and would be back later that evening.
Unaware that the woman had been killed and her body locked in the bedroom, the house help and the little boy went about their business until late in the evening when she suspected something was terribly wrong and informed neighbours who called the police.
The late Wambui\’s body was found lying on her bed, with strangulation marks on her neck.