Kirima to be buried Tuesday

January 11, 2011 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 11 – The late real estate magnate Gerishon Kirima was to be buried on Tuesday at his rural home in Murang\’a.

Mr Kirima passed on while receiving treatment at a hospital in South Africa two weeks ago and an autopsy revealed that he died from pneumonia and chronic renal disease.

At a requiem mass held at the African Inland Church (AIC) in Nairobi on Monday, Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka urged family members to peacefully resolve the dispute which has been threatening to tear the family apart.

“In such a thing as settlements out of court, whatever cases there may be, whatever disagreements there may be, I tell you it will be a wonderfully good report from the Kirima family if you can very purposely decide that you are not going to continue with court battles,” he advised.

Condoling with the bereaved family, the Vice President said he received the news of demise of the late Kirima with deep shock and profound sadness.

He regretted that late Kirima passed on at a time when the country needed him most to join other elders in spearheading national healing and reconciliation efforts.

Mr Musyoka said the late Kirima will be remembered for his distinguished service to the country spanning over five decades.

He noted that he was involved in immense philanthropic activities that saw many needy Kenyans benefit from his generosity.

Mr Musyoka described the late Kirima as a pioneer businessman who taught many of the countries current economic icons the art of doing business.

“He was a principled politician and businessman who would not compromise his deals, I had a privilege of working with him in the career of politics where we served in KANU contributing over the years in the process of deepening principles of our democratic practice,” he said.

Justice Minister Mutula Kilonzo described the late Kirima as a mentor and confidant.

“What he told me is something that I will only say to the family, if the council of elders invites me and only if they agree to work together because the man treated and regarded me as a son,” he said.

The former Member of Parliament and Assistant Minister died at the age of 88.

His death came at a time when members of his extended family are in a big tussle over control of his multi million shillings estate.

Drama pitting the Kirima family started about five months ago when his daughters from the first wife stormed his home in Kitisuru and demanded that he be taken to hospital.

After two weeks of unsuccessful attempts, they engaged top government officials and a cabinet minister who helped get Kirima taken to the Nairobi Hospital.

Once at the hospital, members of Kirima’s first wife sealed all the entries to the hospital to block Kirima’s third wife Teresia, son and daughters from visiting him.

A few days later, Mrs Teresia moved to court where she sought orders to visit her husband but by the time she went to serve the hospital, Mr Kirima had already been flown out to the United Kingdom for treatment.

The court cases are still pending.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed