, KISUMU, Kenya, Nov 29 0- A form-three student in Kisumu is fighting for his life in hospital after he attempted to commit suicide by setting himself ablaze.
The student had initially attempted to drown himself earlier in Lake Victoria in the morning but was rescued, only to purchase fuel which he used to set the house he was staying in ablaze.
Witnesses say that the student who lives with his aunt in Dunga estate was against being sent back to his village for the holidays.
Fishermen who rescued him from the lake took him to his aunt, who reportedly gave him Sh200 for transport to his rural home but instead, the boy bought petrol.
He doused the house and set it on fire.
Fire fighters from Kisumu municipal council rushed to the scene and managed to put out the blaze then pulled out the student who suffered serious burns.
He was admitted to the New Nyanza general hospital.