Woman murdered, dumped in sack

October 7, 2010 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 7 – A woman in her mid thirties or early forties was on Thursday found murdered and her body dumped by the roadside in Nairobi.

Her mutilated body was stashed in a gunny bag and had several panga cuts, bruises and strangulation marks, according to police officers who visited the scene on Thursday morning, along Chiromo Road at the junction of Riverside Drive where many passers-by mistook it for an abandoned luggage, before guards at nearby residences discovered it.

“The way it was wrapped and stashed in the gunny bag, it was not easy for someone to think it was a human being’s body, it took sometime before it was discovered,” one police officer who visited the scene said.

Kilimani divisional police chief Bernard Muli said an investigation into the murder had been launched and appealed to the public to help identify the body at the City Mortuary.

“We welcome anyone with information to come up and help us, it will form the basis of our investigations,” he said.

The deceased woman did not have any identification documents on her when the body was discovered.

Detectives said they would largely rely on her finger prints to get her identity from the National Bureau of Registration of Persons.

Nairobi Provincial Police chief Antony Kibuchi said no suspect had been arrested in connection with the murder.

In a separate incident, a man who was caught selling bhang to inmates at the Kamiti Maximum Prison was arrested on Wednesday evening.

The suspect had concealed 380 rolls of bhang in shoe soles which he claimed he was distributing to warders at the facility, according to police.

“We are working closely with the prisons, the suspect was arrested and is in our custody. He was going to supply bhang to inmates,” Mr Kibuchi said.

He said another man was arrested in Kasarani on Thursday when he was found selling fake letters for the military recruitment exercise to unsuspecting members of the public.

The man was arrested when he solicited some Sh300,000 from one of his prospective clients in the area, before police officers at the Kasarani police station were notified.

“Our officers acted fast and were able to arrest the suspect. He is in custody and would be arraigned in court once an investigation is completed,” Mr Kibuchi said.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed