, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 8 – Three Kenyans who were arrested in Mombasa on Thursday in connection with last months deadly Uganda bombing have been extradited, police said.
The suspects who were being detained by the Anti Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU] in Mombasa were first flown to Nairobi before being bundled into a plane to Entebbe.
They were arrested in the coastal city on Thursday night by officers from the ATPU.
Police sources told Capital News that the detectives have been working closely with their Ugandan counterparts who were trailing the three suspects.
"These are men who were being sought over the Uganda bombings and after interrogations, we thought it wise to have them taken to Kampala, they will be leaving this afternoon," a senior police officer privy to the investigation on the three men told Capital News.
He did not provide any further details of the suspects or the location where they were being held before they were flown to Kampala.
He however, gave an indication that the suspects are likely to be charged in Kampala.
Three other Kenyans were last month charged in the neighbouring country for plotting the bombing that killed 76 people and wounded 100 others as they watched the World Cup final match at a restaurant and an open rugby field.
The extradition on Sunday was done despite protests by Muslim leaders who have been demanding for the suspects\’ release since Thursday when they were arrested.
The Muslim leaders and families of those detained have claimed the three men are innocent.
Last month, three Kenyans arrested soon after the Kampala bombing were charged in a Kampala court for the murder of the 76 people among other terrorism-related charges.
Hussein Hassan, Mohammed Adan Abdow, and Idris Magondu, appeared before a magistrate\’s court on July 31 where they faced murder, terrorism and attempted murder for their alleged role in the bombings but they were not allowed to plead to any of the charges.
They were not required to answer the charges because the cases would be heard by the High Court.
The magistrate remanded the men until 27 August.
Police in Kampala and Nairobi said they had linked the trio charged in court with Al Shabab, a Somali rebel group loyal to Al-Qaeda.
Al Shabab has already claimed responsibility of the deadly bombing and vowed to carry out similar attacks in nations supporting the Transitional Federal Government in Somalia and those which have sent troops there.