Court seeks answers on arrested Kenyan

August 16, 2010 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 16 – The High Court has summoned the Commissioner of Police and the Commandant of the Anti Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU) to appear before it on Tuesday to explain the status of a Kenyan arrested three days ago over the recent terror attacks in Kampala, Uganda.

The top officers are expected to explain the whereabouts of Mohamed Hamid Suleiman.

High Court judge Aggrey Muchelule issued the summons on Monday after Mr Suleiman’s family went to court demanding his production.

The summons were issued to Police Commissioner Mathew Iteere and Anti Terrorism Police Unit Commandant Nicholas Kamwende to show why Mr Suleiman should not be released forthwith.

Officers attached to ATPU arrested Mr Suleiman on Friday, August 13 at his home in Akiba Estate, South C Nairobi.

An affidavit sworn by his wife Zuhura, says the suspect was arrested by the officers and driven to Kasarani police station.

“My husband was arrested by more than 10 police officers who claim to be officers from the Anti Terrorism Unit,” she said in the affidavit produced in court. “I would to appeal to this court to order the police to produce the body of Mohamed Hamid Suleiman dead or alive.”

The suspect’s lawyer visited the station the next day where they were informed that Mr Suleiman had left the station but early in the morning, but he was still under the custody of the ATPU.

Mrs Suleiman says she has not seen her husband since his arrest despite several attempts to reach him. She says that Mr Kamwende told her lawyer that Mr Suleiman was in custody for “associating himself with persons who had killed people.”

She denies that he was involved in any way with the Uganda bombings which occurred on July 11.

“My husband has never been to Uganda. The police have no right to kidnap my husband from Kenyan territory away from the jurisdiction of Kenyan courts without extradition proceedings,” she says.


Latest Articles

News Podcasts