, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 11 – Former Mungiki leader Maina Njenga now wants the police to probe a racket in which his name is being used to extort cash through mobile money transfer services.
Mr Njenga went to the Central Police Station on Tuesday claiming some conmen had called his accomplices on several occasions asking them to transfer money to mobile numbers that were registered under the name “Maina Njenga”.
“In one of the messages, the person telephoned someone and (claimed to be me), that he was stranded somewhere and needed some Sh 20,000 for fuel, since the person who received the text knew me, he sent him a few thousands, but the person later informed me and I was shocked because I had not called or sent him a text,” Mr Njenga told reporters after recording a statement with the police.
“What is more surprising is the fact that when the person sent money, his phone relayed a message showing that he had sent money to MAINA NJENGA, which means these people have registered their phone numbers under my name,” he added.
He told police that the person using different phone numbers had been identifying himself as the chairman of Mungiki.
In some instances, he said, the callers had used threats and intimidation to extort the money.
Mr Njenga said at least three people known to him had received telephone calls and text messages from the unscrupulous people.
“I have officially notified the police about this issue and they have assured me that action will be taken,” he said.
Lawyer Paul Muite who accompanied him to the station said “the matter is of serious concern and needs urgent attention.”
Police said the matter had been referred to the CID who would record statements from Mr Njenga and some of the people who had received the threatening text messages and calls.
A senior CID officer at the station said they would pursue the matter with the help of mobile phone companies which will help track down the suspects.