, NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 30 – A senior administration police officer who has been missing since his bail was cancelled in the massive arms cache case has now surrendered.
Joseph Maritim who was accompanied by his lawyer appeared at Nairobi Chief Magistrate\’s court on Wednesday morning and said he was unaware his bail had been cancelled by the high court.
His lawyer Kiraithe Wandungi said Mr Maritim only learnt of the cancellation of his Sh1 million bond through the media.
His co-accused businessman Muneer Haroon Ismail and his wife Mahid Tabasum Sumar surrendered to the court immediately the bail was cancelled.
Mr Maritim will now remain in custody until January 8 when their case will be mentioned.
The accused had their bail cancelled after the office of the Attorney General challenged the decision in the High Court.
The court ruled that the AG’s office had demonstrated that the accused were a threat to national security and should remain behind bars.
The prosecution claims there is a possibility of the accused absconding trial given the seriousness of the case they are facing.
They are accused of possessing about 100,000 rounds of ammunition and other weapons.