Court to determine PNU case

December 23, 2009 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 22 – The High Court is set to rule whether it should allow Narc Kenya to sue the Interim Independent Electoral Commission over the Sh200 million political parties\’ funds.

Narc Kenya trough lawyer Cecil Miller wants to be allocated 60 percent of the money earmarked for the Party of National Unity claiming that it contributed the highest parliamentary votes to the PNU conglomerate. 

Mr Miller urged Lady Justice Roselyn Wendoh to order the Registrar of Political Parties, Ms Lucy Ndung’u to administer the distribution of the Sh200 million allocated to PNU in terms of the Political Parties Act 2007.

 “The registrar should not abdicate her duties. She should administer the distribution of the funds and not allow PNU to outsmart its affiliates. The law must be followed as provided by the Political Parties Act,” Mr Miller said.

But IIEC told the court that Narc Kenya participated in the decision of distributing the funds that was made in November this year.

It accused the party of not using the internal dispute resolution mechanism that is provided for by the party.

Mr Miller told the judge that Narc-Kenya has not been given its fair share of the money released by the Registrar of Political Parties and asked the court to quash a decision by the registrar to entrust PNU with the mandate to distribute the funds.

Mr Miller said the law is clear that political parties will be under the watch of a registrar who will administer the funds.

He said PNU has decided to bag 60 per cent of the funds, leaving 40 per cent to the nine affiliate parties.

The court will rule on the matter on December 31.



Latest Articles

News Podcasts

Most Viewed