, NAIROBI, November 10 – More than thirty Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examination candidates from two primary schools in Tigania East district have been relocated from their schools due to insecurity ahead of the examinations that kicked off on Tuesday morning.
According to the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) appropriate measures have been put in place to ensure the national examination goes on without a hitch.
KNEC Corporate Affairs Head Ken Ramani said that helicopters have been hired to airlift examination materials in flood-prone areas where thousands of families were rendered homeless following the heavy rains.
At the Gatithini and Thangatha primary schools in Tigania, pupils were assembled at Ikana and Ngongoaka primary schools where there are security personnel following tribal fighting two weeks ago.
They are part of the 1,306 pupils from four primary schools who fled their homes after a two-day fighting along Tharaka North-Tigania East border that left about 40 homesteads razed.
Thangatha Primary School which has a population of 128 pupils among them 12 candidates was razed to the ground and new classrooms need to be constructed.
Nyambene KNUT Executive Secretary George Thaimuta said the pupils could not go back to their schools since they were still camping.
He said the candidates’ results could be affected since many had lost their learning materials and were living in camps.
“Many don’t have books and they are traumatized by the poor living conditions. Their houses were razed down and are sleeping in the cold. It is quite bad,” he said.
At the same time Mr Thaimuta expressed fears that teachers could be targeted for attack. Last year, a teacher from Gatithini Primary School was hacked to death when raiders attacked the area in a spate of tribal violence.
“We might be forced to seek transfers for them if the government does not guarantee their safety,” said Mr Thaimuta.
This year, 727, 000 candidates among them 680 Southern Sudanese are expected to sit for the examination.