NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 14 – Kenya has invited the International Criminal Court prosecutor for talks with the country’s leaders over the trial of key suspects in the violence that followed the disputed 2007 presidential polls.
Justice Minister Mutula Kilonzo said Luis Moreno Ocampo had been asked to visit on November 3 for discussions with President Mwai Kibaki and Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
"I already communicated with Ocampo on Monday on phone and on Tuesday I sent him a fax. We are now waiting for his response," Mr Kilonzo said.
Ocampo’s visit comes after Nairobi’s efforts to form a local tribunal to try those responsible for the clashes that killed some 1,500 people foundered.
A panel that probed Kenya’s worst post-independence violence called for the setting up of the tribunal within 60 days after presenting its report in October 2008.
However, lawmakers in February defeated a bill aimed at creating the court, arguing that it would be susceptible to political interference.
Former United Nations chief Kofi Annan, who brokered an end to the unrest, has handed the ICC a list of key suspects in the violence.
The list, drawn up by the panel that probed the chaos and which has not been made public, is believed to include top government officials.