Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?



Fire kills three children in Kenya

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 18 – A mother who watched her three children burn to death in their house in Nairobi’s Githurai Kimbo estate on Monday night is still in a coma.

The children aged five, three and one were burnt to death when fire razed their house at 7.30 pm, according to police and witnesses.

The woman had apparently gone to the nearby shop, locking her young children in the house. While there, the house caught fire.

“We saw her running and shouting that her children are burning, when she approached her house and saw the extent of the raging fire, she collapsed,” Michael Muiruri who helped put out the fire said.

Mr Muiruri told Capital News that nothing was salvaged from the house that is located near Kung’u farm, about two kilometres from Githurai Kimbo Police Post.

“We still believe she does not know what happened to her children. She collapsed and was immediately rushed to the hospital. We were left putting out the fire,” another neighbour who only identified himself as Kariuki said.

Martha Muthoni, a vegetable vendor who was at the scene at the time the blaze started said it happened, “so fast that no one could easily tell the exact cause of the fire.”

Most of those interviewed by Capital News speculated that the fire may have started after a stove in the house exploded.

“There was a loud explosion and it cannot be a result of electrical fault because lights were off at the time; we suspect a stove exploded in the house,” another neighbour said.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Kasarani divisional Police chief Jasper Ombati told Capital News that detectives were yet to know the exact cause of the fire.

“Investigations are currently underway. However, we strongly believe it was as a result of a stove which may have exploded in the house,” he said but insisted the truth will only be known once the probe is completed.

When Capital News visited the home, electricians from the Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) were re-connecting power to the neighbours whose lines were affected by the fire.


More on Capital News