Govt urged to find killers of Kenyan official

July 9, 2009 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 9 – Family members and friends of former Permanent Secretary for Youth and Sports Kinuthia Murugu on Thursday appealed to the police to expedite investigations and apprehend his killers.

Led by former Defence Minister Njenga Karume, they accused the police of failing to play their core duty of protecting the citizenry and probing the shooting incident.

“It is so unfortunate that we have lost him. It is also unfortunate that the people who shot him are still at large yet we have the police who are supposed to do that work,” the former Kiambaa legislator said.

“It has now become a common occurrence that people are shot and killed but their attackers are never arrested. We do not know what is going on.”

He spoke at the late Murugu’s Nairobi home in Lavington where friends and relatives converged to condole with the family.

Others who visited the home include Sports Minister Hellen Sambili and her Assistant Minister Wavinya Ndeti.

Mrs Sambili described Mr Murugu’s death as a ‘great loss’ to the ministry, saying the late PS was a ‘hardworking man who had a lot of interest in his work.’

“He had devoted himself a lot to the wok of the ministry and specifically the youth of this country. It is unfortunate that we have lost him,” she said.

She pledged to spearhead all the projects the PS had initiated at the ministry and urged his family members to remain united in prayers.

“We are going to ensure his projects go on as scheduled because he was running a lot of initiatives for the youth,” she told journalists who had camped outside the former PS’s gate.

The media was restrained from going into the late PS’s compound and only stayed outside the gate.

Mr Murugu succumbed to gunshot injuries at the Nairobi Hospital at dawn on Thursday after undergoing treatment for three weeks following the encounter with gunmen who accosted him on Muringa Road in Kilimani.

He had remained at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for the period he was at the hospital after doctors operated on him to remove a bullet that was lodged in the chest.

Sources told Capital News that prior to his death, Mr Murugu still had another bullet lodged near his spinal cord which had not been removed.

Mr Murugu has previously served as the Regional Director for the World Scout Bureau.

The Speaker of the National Assembly Kenneth Marende said: “It is agonising that heinous acts of criminal-minded persons have cut short a life of a public servant who was at his prime age.”

“I condemn in the strongest terms this brutal act and urge the government to track down and prosecute the perpetrators,” Mr Marende said in a statement.

To date, police have not arrested anyone over the shooting.

A woman who was with the PS on the night he was shot was detained for four days at the Kilimani and Pangani police stations before being released.

No charges were preferred against her.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed