NAIROBI, Kenya, May 6 – President Mwai Kibaki on Wednesday ordered top security chiefs to devise new measures of dealing with the soaring insecurity in the country and root out the Mungiki menace.
In a meeting of the National Security Committee held at Harambee House in Nairobi, the Head of State reportedly expressed concerns over the increased cases of insecurity, particularly the Mungiki menace and directed that firm action be taken.
A dispatch from the Presidential Press Service said the meeting was attended by Prime Minister Raila Odinga, Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka and Internal Security Minister Professor George Saitoti, among others.
“The committee agreed on a wide range of measures to be taken to improve security in the country,” the statement said, without clarifying further.
And it added: “The committee also agreed on measures to be taken to ensure that Kenyan borders are protected and defended.”
The committee also reviewed and outlined measures that should be taken to firmly and swiftly deal with illegal criminal gangs in the country.”
It is understood that the two coalition partners were particularly concerned about the recent killings of 29 people who wee hacked to death in Karatina district three weeks ago.
Although details of Wednesday’s morning meeting remained scanty, sources told Capital News that Prof Saitoti had been ordered to deal ruthlessly with the killer gang.
This would include enhancing permanent security patrols in the affected parts, mainly in parts of Nairobi, Rift Valley and Central Kenya where the Mungiki-related killings have lately hit soaring record levels.
“It was also agreed that the government fully facilitates the security intelligence networks to avoid a repeat of what happened in Karatina,” a source said.
Boarder security was also given priority in the meeting and it is understood the leaders were in agreement that permanent security patrols be enhanced, mainly at the Kenya-Somali border and other borders to neighbouring countries.