, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 7 – The country’s deteriorating insecurity status was the subject of Thursday’s Cabinet meeting chaired by President Mwai Kibaki at State House Nairobi.
The Head of State is reported to have expressed concern, particularly over the Mungiki killer gang and other outlawed sects which have lately rendered Kenyans insecure.
“On the agenda was the insecurity caused by Mungiki and other illegal criminal gangs in some parts of the country. The issue was extensively discussed,” the statement stated.
President Kibaki is reported to have ordered all security agencies to be firm in dealing with the sect members who hacked to death some 29 villagers in Karatina district of Central Kenya where Mungiki-related incidents have recorded a soaring record toll.
“The Cabinet ordered all security agencies to deal swiftly and firmly with the gangs,” the official statement from the President’s office stated without elaborating.
Internal Security Minister Professor George Saitoti who heads the security docket was ordered to utilise all available resources in maintaining the country’s security.
Lately, there have been increased cases of execution-style killings mainly targeting prominent businessmen and human rights activists.
Based on reported cases of prominent personalities murdered in the past two months alone and the Karatina massacre three weeks ago, the Ministers at the meeting reportedly charged that the country’s security status was at alarming proportions and demanded an end to it, according to sources privy to the Thursday meeting.
In Parliament, Assistant Minister for Internal Security and Provincial Administration Orwa Ojode was at pains to defend the conduct and ability of police officers, with regards to the Karatina cold-blooded murder of 29 people.
While answering a question by former Justice Minister and Gichugu legislator Martha Karua, Mr Ojode told the House that security had been intensified in all the affected areas in the wake of the Mungiki menace.
Ms Karua had demanded to know why the police did not take action to intercept some of the killer members who are said to have been ferried in motorbikes to Karatina district the day the massacre occurred, yet they passed through roadblocks.
“The police are doing a very good work, in fact, many of the suspects who committed the heinous murders have been apprehended and some of them have already been charged in court. Action is being taken,” Mr Ojode said.
It was the second day the issue of insecurity in the country was being discussed extensively in Parliament where majority of the legislators agreed unanimously that Kenyans were unsafe.
A week ago, the Internal Security Minister announced a major crackdown targeting Mungiki sect leaders had been launched and even vowed to name and shame some of the political and business leaders linked with the gang.
Little has been heard from his office on the name-and-shame threat, more than a week since the announcement was made.
The self-confessed Mungiki flounder and chairman Maina Njenga who was successfully contested a five-year jail term slapped on him from gun possession and Marijuana was arrested soon after the acquittal and is yet to be produced in court.
Sources told Capital News that the sect leader is being held at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Kajiado and Machakos police stations where officers keeps shuffling him to avoid any contact with his family and legal representatives keen to see and advice him.