NAIROBI, Kenya March 23 – This year’s armed forces recruitment exercise kicked off on Monday in 186 districts across the country.
A statement by the Department of Defence spokesman Bogita Ongeri said the recruitment would kick off in Nyeri North district, and was to be led by Chief Recruitment Officer Brigadier Philip Lepakio.
“The recruitment exercise will be conducted by 14 recruitment teams, in the 186 districts in the country; this include the newly established districts,” said Mr Ongeri.
The recruitment exercise, which is targeting officer cadets and general soldiers, will continue until April 20.
“Those wishing to join as Constabularies must be below 49 years old and must have served as Servicemen for at least three years,” said the military spokesman. “Candidates interested to join as Recruits must be aged between 18 and 26 years and possess a minimum mean grade of D Plain in KCSE.”
Mr Ongeri reiterated a warning by the Chief of General Staff General Jeremiah Kianga that legal action would be taken against anyone found bribing or canvassing for positions.
65 people were arrested last year after they presented fake military recruitment letters. 22 people were arrested at the Embakasi Garrison while another 44 in Eldoret when they were informed that the letters did not bear the official seal of the Department of Defense and lacked proper signatures.
This year’s recruitment exercise, however, has been strengthened in policies and procedures so as to stem corrupt practices.
“An independent audit conducted by Ernest and Young in February 2009 certified that the armed forces recruitment policies and procedures are comparable with the best practices in the world,” the statement read.