Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Capital News


Ayuma takes command at Kamiti

NAIROBI, November 23 – Joshua Ayuma has been appointed to replace Joseph Mutevesi at the helm of the Kamiti Maximum Security Prison.

Mr Ayuma was previously in-charge of Kisumu’s Kodiaga Prison, and Commissioner of Prisons Isaiah Osugo announced on Sunday that Ayuma would assume his new role at Kamiti with immediate effect, to ensure the smooth running of operations at the maximum security facility.

Mr Osugo however did not name a replacement for Mr Ayuma at Kodaiga.

The move comes after the sacking on Thursday of the former officer-in-charge at Kamiti, Mr Mutevesi, and the Chief Security officer Stephen Kiplagat, over the alleged torture-to-death of an inmate on Monday night.

Ten warders were also sacked and 15 others interdicted at the Naivasha GK Prison, as Mr Osugo cracked the whip on errant officers following the Kamiti Prison saga.

The Prisons boss told Capital News that those sacked in Naivasha had been found colluding with inmates and smuggling in mobile phones and other contraband goods for them.

Mr Osugo said all senior officers in other penal facilities in the country were under strict instructions to ensure the illegal activities at their jurisdictions were curbed and thoroughly investigated.

Mr Mutevesi and Mr Kiplagat are being investigated to establish if they authorised the alleged brutal force meted out on the inmates during a search for mobile phones, leading to the death of one prisoner and injuries to seven others who were scalded with hot water.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Mr Osugo and a team of CID officers accompanied by human rights activists spent the better part of Wednesday and Thursday interrogating death row inmates on circumstances that led to the inmate’s death.

An official report presented to the prisons chief before the probe stated that the convict was found dead in his cell on Tuesday morning.

Prisoners interviewed by Capital News however maintained that their colleague, who was serving a death sentence, had collapsed after being beaten during the night operation.

165 mobile phones, dozens of rolls of bhang and other crude weapons were recovered during the search.


More on Capital News