NAIROBI, September 17 – The bodies of three suspected Mungiki sect members who went missing a month ago were found dumped at the City Mortuary on Tuesday.
A spokesman of the outlawed sect Njuguna Gitau told Capital News that one of the bodies had been positively identified by family members as that of Moses Wainaina who was in his thirties. He went missing from densely populated Huruma estate in the east of the city.
“He had been arrested by the police on August 15 and that was the last time he was seen alive. His body was found at the city mortuary. He was not on any permanent employment but operated sometimes as a matatu driver and tout,” Mr Gitau said.
He said the other bodies had been also been positively identified to be those of two young men who had gone missing from Central Province.
“We are losing many young men. The only strange thing about this is the fact that they are arrested and they are never seen alive again. We don’t know who is killing them and why,” he said but hinted that the police may have been complicit in the deaths.
Gitau said they were concerned about the whereabouts of seven other men who went missing at about the same time, and appealed to the police to stop what he termed ‘extrajudicial killings’ targeting their members. He urged the law enforces to follow the due process of the law since everyone was presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Relatives said the three – who went missing in different parts of Nairobi and Central – had gunshot wounds and were booked in at the morgue as ‘unidentified male’ adults.
Some of the women whose husbands went missing told Capital News they had searched police stations and mortuaries over the past few weeks without success.
Rose Njoki Muriuki said her husband Godfrey Ngugi was arrested on March 22 on Chai road.
“That is the last time he was seen, I have been searching all the police stations in Nairobi but I have never seen him. Now I have been widowed and have to look after our children together with the help of my father-in-law who stays with them in Nairobi,” he said.
“I am worried because I do not know where they took my husband. I have been waiting to see him in vain. I just hope he is alive,” she said.
Meanwhile, three suspected gangsters were shot dead in two separate robbery incidents in Nairobi on Wednesday.
The police said two of them were gunned down after a robbery at the Kariobangi Light Industries area in Kariobangi estate. The shooting occurred some six hours after the suspects had gone on a spree to rob residents in the area.
“They had gone underground until at about 3pm when our officers accosted them. They were armed with a modified rifle,” Kasarani divisional Police chief Jasper Ombati said.
He said the suspects were killed after a shoot out with the police and a Mark 4 rifle with ten rounds of ammunitions recovered.
Another robbery suspect who was armed with a pistol was shot dead in Githurai 44 estate after a robbery.
“He was a notorious gangster, he was shot dead when he flushed out what seemed like a pistol as he ran away,” Ombati said.