, NAIROBI, May 29 – Sixty-four Kenyans are expected back in the country following anti-immigrant violence in South Africa.
The xenophobic attacks in Johannesburg and its environs has declined but the government on Wednesday said that Kenya’s envoy to South Africa Tom Amolo has been instructed to take count of all Kenyans who want to be repatriated.
"So far 64 Kenyans who have sought assistance are actually on their way back to Kenya as from tommorrow (Thursday)," Assistant Foreign Minister Richard Onyonka told reporters.
He said the government has set aside funds to help all of Kenyans in South Africa who might want to return home. As many as 20,000 Kenyans currently live in South Africa.
Tens of thousands of mainly Zimbabwean and Mozambican immigrants have been forced out of their homes since the onset of xenophobic attacks which have so far left 56 people dead.