NAIROBI, May 6 – The Government has frozen a multi-million shilling property in Nairobi owned by Rwandan fugitive Felicien Kabuga, who is implicated in the 1994 Genocide in which over 1 million people were killed.
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Keriako Tobiko who made the request told High Court Judge, Justice Muga Apondi that a property in the name of the fugitive and his wife has been located in the Kilimani area of Nairobi.
Tobiko told the court that proceeds from rental income are wired to Belgium’s Banque De La Poste in the name of Kabuga’s wife Mukazitoni Josephine.
The DPP said it is believed that the proceeds form these property is being used by Kabuga to evade capture and avoid justice.
He wants the court to order that the rental income for ‘Spanish villa’ property along Lenana Road in Nairobi’s Kilimani estate be deposited with the High Court Registrar.
The villa is allegedly under the management of Kenya Trust Company and whose physical location has not been established.
Tobiko wants the court to allow service of the case to respondents in the case through local and international media.
These developments follow a request from the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) to the Attorney General Amos Wako last month requiring the status report on the Kabuga case.
Justice Apondi was expected to give a ruling Tuesday afternoon.
The United States has placed a five-million-dollar ($5 million) bounty on the head of Kabuga, who has been on the run for years since being indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) for his role in the 1994 Rwandan genocide that claimed 800,000 people.
The Tanzania-based ICTR has said it is closing in on the fugitive, its most high-profile suspect still at-large more than a decade after the genocide.
Kenya, where Kabuga allegedly found protection from senior officials in the previous government, denies Kabuga is in the country and has pledged to arrest him if he is found there.
Kabuga, an ethnic Hutu, has been accused of being a key financier and supplying machetes and other weapons to carry out the massacre of the 800,000 people, mostly Tutsis, within four months in 1994.
Born in 1935, the wealthy businessman is said to be a frequent traveller in various African nations where he buys protection.
He was thrown out of Switzerland in 1994, and spent some time in the Democratic Republic of Congo before seeking refuge in Kenya, where he has escaped several attempts to arrest him.