2019 has shown us that just like us, sexuality terms can grow and change in time. We might find ourselves saying the wrong things, asking the wrong questions, or even not saying anything because we are too embarrassed.
We learnt talked about the terms like “heterosexual,” “bisexual” and “transgender” that are known. But what about “pansexual,” “demisexual” or “heteronormative”? Still confused? Lets talk about the D,F,G and H… (Brace yourself for the Gs).
- adj. : little or no romantic attraction until a strong emotional and sexual connection is created.
- adj. : Little or no sexual attraction until a strong romantic connection is constructed.
- adj. : Men who identify as straight but who secretly have sex with men.
Drag King/ Drag Queen:
- noun : Someone who performs (hyper-) masculinity/femininity as an over the top performance.
FtM / F2M; MtF / M2F:
- abbr. : Female-to-male transgender or transsexual person; male-to-female transgender or transsexual person. (It was little confusing to me too)
- adj. : A phrase that indicates a range in terms of gender identity and expression for people who present, understand themselves, and/or relate to others in a generally more feminine/masculine way, but don’t necessarily identify as women or men. Generally include a focus on identity as well as expression.
- noun : Derogatory term referring to a gay person, or someone perceived as queer. (Unless your gay, just don’t say!)
- adj. : Also known as gender-fluid, fluid describes an identity that shifts over time between sexuality. (sexual preference swings all ways)
- adj. : Someone who does not conform to gender-based expectations of society (e.g. transgender, transsexual, intersex, genderqueer, cross-dresser, etc).
- adj. : A person who does not conform to identity labels, a person who identifies outside of the gender norms.
Gender Normative / Gender Straight
- adj. : Someone whose gender presentation, whether by nature or by choice, aligns with society’s gender-based expectations.
- noun : The concept that there are only two genders and that every person is one of those two.
Gynesexual / Gynephilic:
- /“guy-nuh-seks-shu-uhl”/ – adj. :Being sexually, romantically and emotionally attracted to woman.
Gray-Asexual / Gray – Sexual:
- adj : Person who experience sexual attraction very rarely, or only under rare circumstances.
- noun : An outdated term that was used to reference someone who was born with some combination of male and female sex characteristics. Now referred to as intersex. (USE INTERSEX)
- noun : The assumption, that everyone is heterosexual and that heterosexuality(being straight) is superior to all other sexualities.
- noun : Actions that grants preferential treatment to heterosexual people, reinforces the idea that heterosexuality(being straight) is somehow better or more “right” than other sexualities.
- noun : The belief that everyone is a heterosexual