“Sex” refers to the biological differences between men and women, like genitalia and genetic.”Gender” is more difficult to define, but it can refer to the role of a male or female in society, known as a gender role, or a persons understanding of themselves, or gender identity. Basically your sex is what you are born with and your gender is your choice.
Now that we have the biology out of the way, sexual identity has become a new language to many. To some it seems to be a foreign language. So I want us to try understand what the rest of the world outside our bubbles are talking about to better understand the conversation.
We all know L is for Lesbian… G is for Gay… B is for bisexual…T is for transgender and Q is for… Queer. What happens if you hear demiromantic? Or Gender Non conforming? Lets get into it the ABCs of things
- adj. : No personal alignment with the concepts of either man or woman, and/or someone who sees themselves as existing without gender. Sometimes called gender neutrois, gender neutral, or genderless.
- /“an-jrah-jun-ee”/ (androgynous) : A gender expression that has elements of both masculinity and femininity.
- adj. : experiencing little or no sexual attraction to others and/or a lack of interest in sexual relationships/behavior.
- /”ay-ro-man-tic”/ – adj. : experiencing little or no romantic attraction to others and/or has a lack of interest in romantic relationships/behavior.
- adj. : a curiosity toward experiencing attraction to people of the same gender/sex.
- adj. : Identifying with either man or woman, as well as a third, different gender.
- 1 noun & adj. : a person who experiences attraction to some men and women.
- noun : a range of negative attitudes (e.g., fear, anger, intolerance, invisibility, resentment, erasure, or discomfort) that one may have or express toward bisexual individuals.
- /“siss-jendur”/ – adj. : Someone who was assigned male at birth, and identifies as a man. Someone who was assigned female at birth, and identifies as woman.
- adj. : An individual who is not open to themselves or others about their sexuality or gender identity. Typically falling under an unaware member of the LGBTQ.
- noun : The process by which one accepts and/or comes to identify one’s own sexuality or gender identity (to “come out of the closet” to oneself.
- noun : someone who wears clothes of another gender/sex.