According to Wendy Bazilian, R.D., author of The SuperFoodsRx Diet, “The saturated fat in coconut oil is mostly lauric acid, a medium-chain saturated fatty acid that appears to have a more neutral effect on heart health when compared to longer-chain saturated fats found in meats and dairy products.”
Additionally, Bazilian says that lauric acid also has antibacterial properties, which may reduce the creation of free radicals, ultimately slowing the aging process.
1. Choose the right coconut oil
Not all coconut oils are created equal. For the oil with the most antioxidants look for coconut oil that has the label, “organic”, “virgin” or “extra virgin”. You can, however, find coconut oil without the intense flavour of coconut by considering “refined” coconut oil.
• Check the chemicals used to refine the coconut oil before purchasing – avoid chemicals that are harmful to your health.
• Rather opt for cold-pressed oils which have a two-year shelf life without refrigeration.
2. Integrate coconut oil into baked goods
Create lower calorie baked goods by substituting coconut oil for butter or margarine.
• Melt oil before use. Place jar in hot water immediately before use.
• If combining with cold ingredients, combine and stir quickly so it doesn’t clump.
3. Create reduced-fat and calorie granola
Granola, while healthy, typically packs a lot of calories in a small amount. You can still have your granola and eat it too by substituting coconut for vegetable oil. In addition, coconut oil adds more health benefits, making a handful of granola with your yogurt a powerful snack.
4. Toss raw vegetables in coconut oil before roasting
Then add a squirt of lemon juice, thyme and bake. Vegetables are low in calories, and high in dense nutrients and fibre, which are idea for any healthy weight. You will be clamouring for more!
5. Make a healthy snack by combining popcorn with coconut oil
Add some nutrients to an already healthy snack by popping your popcorn in coconut oil instead of other vegetable oils.
6. Create low calorie-high nutrient condiments like coconut oil mayonnaise
When making mayonnaise, replace olive oil with coconut oil for a health benefit boost.
• Experts recommend ingesting up to two tablespoons of coconut oil per day.
• Don’t be fooled into thinking that just adding coconut oil to your diet will instantly help you lose weight. By substituting coconut oil for less healthy options, you can boost health benefits by stepping up your metabolism.