Singer Pink honored with Hollywood Walk of Fame star

Pop singer Pink was honored on Tuesday with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, telling fans gathered for the event that it was “surreal” to receive the award.

“I feel like I’m dreaming and if anyone pinches me, I’m gonna punch them in the left eyebrow,” the Grammy-nominated singer said at the ceremony, surrounded by her husband and two children.

“I feel like a lot of people probably only thought I would make it to the walk of shame, but here I am,” the 39-year-old singer-songwriter added.

Pink, whose real name is Alecia Moore, reflected on her beginnings in the music industry, paying tribute to her father who, she said, encouraged her to pursue her dreams.

“Today for me is a celebration of something that my dad taught me and that is — to thine own self be true,” she said.

“There is a power in believing in yourself, there is a power in not giving up on life and not giving up on yourself,” she added.

Pink has received 20 Grammy nominations and three wins over her career. On Sunday, she will be vying for another Grammy for best pop vocal album for “Beautiful Trauma.”

Since her debut in 2000, she has released seven studio albums and has sold more than 50 million records.

Ellen DeGeneres, who spoke at Tuesday’s ceremony and who uses a Pink song for her daytime talk show, described the singer as “a badass rock star” and a person who has remained true to herself.

“Even though she is a huge international star, she is the most normal grounded person that you will ever meet,” DeGeneres said.

Pink got her start in the music business as a member of the girl group Choice and her career took off after that.

She released her first solo album “Can’t Take Me Home” in 2000, with the record certified double-platinum in the United States.

She received her first Grammy in 2002 for “Lady Marmalade,” which was the soundtrack for the film “Moulin Rouge.”

Her two other Grammys were for best female rock vocal performance for “Trouble” in 2004 and in 2011 she shared the award for best pop collaboration with vocals for the song “Imagine.”

1. Avatar Natty Dread August 13th, 2013 at 9:00 pm

How dumb does one need to be to steal a leaf from such a unique booklet? Oh, it’s CORD again!

2. Avatar Thion'go August 14th, 2013 at 4:21 am

Ha! Please give me bail because I may be arrested?? That procedure should be repealed. If an act has not occurred and may not even occur, a case is not RIPE for a court to determine such an application. Being arrested is not the end of the world. Celebrities much larger than her have been arrested including Mike Tyson, Michael Jackson, NBA stars, and even men who became Presidents such as Kenyatta Sr. and Mandela. She is scared of an arrest and yet she is a civil activist? Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., Sharpton, Matiba and others would not be impressed by such fear if you believe you are right or righteous.

3. Avatar Duncan Muchina August 14th, 2013 at 7:35 am

In all honesty, I would hate to see her spend time in our filthy police cells. She’s still my cousin and blood is thicker.

1. Avatar Ray August 14th, 2013 at 8:12 am

@Leopardchui:disqus i agree with you…let our cousins return home….we have already a fattened bull…like the prodigal son…

1. Avatar Duncan Muchina August 14th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Yes…our history is rich and long…very long. Centuries and centuries of meaningful association. Our peoples benefit from each other all the time regardless of political affiliations. We belong to each other.

4. Avatar njore August 14th, 2013 at 11:11 am

This is the height of double speak or impunity. It worries me to see the ‘crusaders’ of impunity mired in it when it comes to their cronies. Ndubi, I am extremely ashamed of your recent mannerism. Are you telling us that you have been a fake crusader of impunity? I have all along trusted you in the fight against impunity. Lakini, of late I have seen a totally fake Ndubi. Let the truth prevail. With best wishes, Njore

5. Avatar natenate August 14th, 2013 at 11:20 am

This is the price to pay for trying to con your way!

6. Avatar Alf August 14th, 2013 at 12:16 pm

If she is innocent as she claims then she has nothing to fear and should face her accusers head on.

7. Avatar Ochuodho August 14th, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Kumbe this thing was coming back to haunt Kethi