By Melanie Chisnall
How much fresh produce do our bodies need?
Ideally, a healthy diet or weight loss plan should include four to five portions of fruit and veggies every day. But eating the same apples, bananas or oranges day-in and day-out can get a little boring.
If you want to keep your health – and waistline in check – you need to start getting a little creative in the kitchen.
Mix up your fruit and veg
We ‘eat’ with our eyes first, so the trick is to make food look enticing. Here are a few ways to mix up your fresh produce and keep things interesting:
- Choose a few pieces of exotic fruit like kiwis, mangoes, or pineapples
- Blend shredded apples, pears or peaches with extra lean mince to make succulent burgers
- Drink a veggie juice – this equals one portion of vegetables
- Start your day with a healthy fruit smoothie
- Add grated carrots to pasta sauces or salads