Terrafugia, Inc. announced new features in the World’s first Flying Car, Transition® production vehicle, a two-seat auto and aircraft, including updates to the interior, safety systems, motor, and flight instrumentation. The latest features and systems will be incorporated and verified in the next test vehicles. The first production vehicles will come to market in 2019.
As a unique automotive vehicle and a light sport aircraft, the Transition® is built for both aviation and automotive safety to comply with FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) and NHTSA (National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration) standards. The new features will enable the Transition® to meet all the necessary requirements while optimizing the flight experience for both pilot and passenger.
The Transition® improvements will include:
- Hybrid-Electric Motor – The Transition® will now drive in hybrid mode, using a combination of an internal combustion engine and a LiFePO4 (Lithium iron phosphate chemistry) battery – proven to be much safer than other lithium battery chemistries.
- Boost – The throttle incorporates a boost feature for a brief burst of extra power while flying.
- Interior – The interior is remodeled with upgraded seats, an attractive and intuitive user interface experience, and increased luggage capacity.
- Safety – Updated safety systems include: improved seat belts, airbags, and increased visibility with three rearview cameras in drive mode.
- Partners – Terrafugia is partnering with state-of-the-art suppliers for avionics and parachutes. Dynon is providing the EFIS (Electrical Flight Information Systems) and BRS is providing a full frame parachute system.
The Transition® is the world’s first practical flying car. It offers the convenience of driving and the speed of flight, and will incorporate autonomous technologies that will make the Transition® safer than any other small aircraft in the sky. Terrafugia has already developed and flown two full-scale prototypes, and has received all of the special legal approvals necessary to bring the Transition®to market in the US.