The search for this year’s Patrón “Margarita of the Year” began on International Margarita Day (February 22) when Patrón invited seven top bartenders from around the world to design their own interpretations of the Perfect Margarita. They each used a variety of fresh flavor combinations inspired by their local region to showcase the versatility of one of the world’s most beloved cocktails, and then consumers across the globe were invited to taste the drinks at Patrón events, and visit MargaritaOfTheYear.com to download the recipes and prepare them at home, and vote for their favorite.
On April 16, the three margaritas with the most votes were named as finalist contenders:
- “Salted Plum Margarita,” with Patrón Silver Tequila, Patrón Citrónge Orange liqueur, Umeshu (Plum wine), plum preserves, lemon and mint, created by Morita Masako from Osaka, Japan
- “LA Margarita,” with Patrón Reposado Tequila, Patrón Citrónge Orange liqueur, lime, lychee syrup, ginger syrup and chia seeds, created by Jorge Ortega from Los Angeles
- “Verde Margarita,” with Patrón Silver Tequila, Patrón Citrónge Orange liqueur, elderflower liqueur, agave syrup, fino sherry, celery and lime, created by José Luis León from Mexico City
After the top three finalists were announced, consumers were invited to vote for the winning “Margarita of the Year” online. With over one million votes cast from 75 countries, the Verde Margarita took home the title as the fan favorite margarita for 2018. The winning cocktail was announced at a Patrón ‘Ritas & Roses event on Saturday, onboard the Patrón Tequila Express vintage rail car that traveled this week to Louisville to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby (happening on the same day this year.)
Inspired by Mexico City, the Verde Margarita combines flavors of Patrón Silver, together with celery and elderflower. T
2 oz Patrón Silver
.75 oz Patrón Citrónge Orange
.75 oz Elderflower liqueur (such as St. Germain)
.5 oz Fino sherry
.5 oz Agave syrup
1 Lime wedge
1 Celery stick
1 Pinch salt
Celery spear & edible flower for garnish
Sugar, maldon salt & celery salt rim
- Rim a highball glass with a mix of sugar, maldon salt & celery salt.
- Combine ingredients in a blender with crushed ice and blend until a slushy consistency is achieved.
- Pour contents from blender into glass.
- Garnish with celery spear and edible flower before a well-deserved siesta.