Give this tasty evening tip a try to get you excited about eating and reduce your next day calories.
Swap your sandwich
Wouldn’t it be great if you could chop a few extra calories in a matter of minutes the day before? Well, you can!
Instead of making sandwiches, prepare a filling and nutritious salad the night before…in a jar!
These yummy-looking salad jars will get you excited about eating healthily, and they’re so quick and simple to make.
Why salad in a jar? It keeps the ingredients separate and crisp – away from the dressing – until you’re ready to eat. Simply shake the jar, tip the salad out onto a plate, toss and enjoy!
All you need is a mason jar and ingredients for a stacked salad.
Layering your salad
- Bottom of jar: Add the dressing of your choice.
- Next: Add heavier ingredients that hold up well with dressings (or those you want ‘marinated’), like beans, onions, carrots, radish and perhaps cucumber, mushroom, tomato.
- Next: Add a layer of any ingredients you don’t want touching the dressing, like snap peas, baby sweetcorn, shredded cabbage, sweet peppers.
- Next: Top the more solid items with a good layer of leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, kale, chard, etc.
- Then: Sprinkle a little healthy crunch on top of the greens, like nuts, seeds, sprouts.
- Finally: Tantalise your taste buds with a few fruit, berries, herbs, or edible flowers.