If you’re one of those people who started counting down to 2018 since July, we get it!
2017 was a whirlwind of a year for many of us and whereas we may have envisioned ourselves strutting into the new year with a focus that would make Bill Gates envious, sometimes that’s easier said than done.
The holidays may have thrown you off a little bit and for what it’s worth, you’re not the only one struggling to start the year on the right foot. It takes about the same willpower to get back to our productive routines as it does to stop eating all the decadent treats devoured during Christmas. And we don’t blame you.
So if you’re in need of some motivation to get your year off on the right foot, here are 18 things tips that could come in handy.
- Start by reflecting on the previous year and listing down what you’re grateful for. You’ll be surprised how motivating it is to see your accomplishments listed down on paper.
- Find an accountability partner. Whether your goal is to stop picking at your nails or perhaps finding a second income stream, sharing your goal with someone you trust will help keep you on track.
- Start with something that you love. If there’s a special restaurant you love to visit where you can have a coffee and reflect or maybe fresh new stationery motivates you to get going, then make time for it this weekend so that it inspires you to move forward.
- List down your goals. This will help keep you on track for the rest of the year. If you’re not sure where to start, feel free to segment it into career, finance, health, family, money, public service and self.
- Have a vision board party. Call your close friends and create some simple vision boards that will serve as reminders of what it is your doing and why.
- Listen to a podcast. I’d highly recommend Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations if you’re struggling to find your purpose and a vision for 2018.
- Treat yourself to a green juice. There’s nothing like a quick cleanse to make you feel better about all the food you ate in December! Plus it will hopefully jumpstart you into making better food choices and living a healthier lifestyle.
- Make your bed first thing in the morning. Trust me, it’ll inspire you to continue making better choices throughout your day.
- Read a good book. How to Get Sh*t Done by Erin Falconer may be a good place to start.
- Go for a walk. Being outside with nature could help inspire you to get on track with your goals!
- Learn a new skill. Whether it’s gardening, design or makeup, picking up a new skill will help boost your confidence.
- Do something good for someone in need. There’s nothing like a stark reminder that, in fact, the world is much bigger than you and I.
- Pick at least one holiday destination you’d like to go to in 2018. You know what they say, “fill your life with adventures, not things.” Having a destination as a goal should help motivate you to get off your butt and get to work!
- Change your wardrobe. There’s nothing like a wardrobe overhaul to make you feel like a whole new person. How you dress matters and this could be your chance to have a little more fun with your wardrobe.
- Ditch the guilt. It’s ok if you didn’t cross off every single goal off your list in 2017, that’s all in the past and there’s nothing you can do about that. This is your year; your chance to do it better. Now get to work.
- Give your home a good clean. They say a cluttered space is going to result into a cluttered mind so why not give your home a clean slate? Get rid of all that junk, put away your Christmas décor (if you haven’t already) and start the year off on the right foot.
- Start a gratitude journal. We often take a lot for granted but taking time to list what we’re truly grateful for only brings more happiness and gratitude moments back into our lives.
- Sleep. Yes, you heard right, get some sleep! Allowing yourself at least 7-8 hours a night can help you make clearer decision the next day. Besides, dark circles are so 2017.