MAC Cosmetics Sub-Saharan Africa Senior Artist, Marco-Louis Ackers (@marco_louis) and Capital FM (@capitalfmkenya) will be bringing you the latest makeup trends and looks directly from the backstage of New York Fashion Week!
Here’s the look for Desigual SS18 Show
1) The Desigual SS18 collection is inspired by the global female traveler, through a mixture of fabrics and cuts from across the ages. How did the makeup look reflect this collection?
Marco-Louis: The look was very much about playing on characters with a whimsical approach – a juxtaposition of the whimsical and the dramatic. The storytelling behind it is she either uses makeup as her armour for defense or allure.
There were 2 looks in the show because they featured professional dancers which added a dramatic approach to makeup and made a very powerful performance; whereas the models had a lot more wearables that celebrated femininity and showed an easy way to wear this makeup.
2) In 3 words, describe Desigual’s makeup look.
Marco-Louis: Dramatic, feminine, deliberate.
3) What product applications were you most excited about?
Marco-Louis: The blush application was especially effective for me. We applied it on the apples of the cheeks and it gave the models an immediate youthful, girly and sun-kissed effect. The Eyes Shadow x 9 palettes were fantastic. The peaches and pinks are great on the eyes, but great for the cheeks and you can also place it on the lips with some lip conditioner for a beautiful monochromatic effect.
4) What part of this look would be applicable to a woman’s day-to- day look?
Marco-Louis: Adding colour to the face adds a bit of vibrancy and youth. Who doesn’t like a bit of perk in their life? It’s perfect for summer with a nice sun-kissed glow.
5) What were the key MAC products used to achieve this look?
Marco-Louis: Studio Fix Fluid Foundation helped to create the perfect canvas. The Eyes Shadow x 9 palette added colour to the cheeks, lips and eyes, which were complemented by Extreme Dimension Lash Mascara.