Let’s start with a simple pop quiz, shall we? The largest organ in the human body is _______.
If your answer was the skin then I’m glad to know you were paying attention during that biology lesson all those years ago!
One of the main functions of your skin is to excrete toxins and waste produced by your body, which brings us to today’s wellness topic – dry brushing.
This simple exercise helps you unclog your pores and eliminate toxins that may be trapped in your skin.
Adopting this practice into your daily routine will not only help invigorate your skin (hello beach days!) but it will also cleanse your body from the inside.
Benefits of Dry Brushing
It’s important to make this a daily ritual rather than part of your weekly or even monthly detox so as to really benefit from this wellness treatment.
Here are some of the benefits that dry brushing boasts of:
- Stimulates the lymphatic system
- Improves digestion
- Reduces cellulite
- Helps remove waste from the body
- Boosts circulation
- Unclogs pores and exfoliates skin
- Improves blood circulation
A Simple Step by Step Guide
Note to self: the aim isn’t to scrub your skin into oblivion. Sure, it may be a little uncomfortable at first but it’s not meant to be painful or leave your skin red and raw. Remember to be gentle!
All you need is about five minutes before hopping into the shower, a good brush with soft, natural bristles and you’re good to go.
- Start by standing in the shower (naked, of course). This will prevent you from having to clean up all the dead skin that comes off if you decide to do this elsewhere.
- Start from your feet and brush in long sweeping motions moving towards your heart. It’s important to mimic blood flow, hence directing the strokes towards your heart.
- Jump into the shower and go about your usual routine.
- Don’t forget to moisturise!
If you’re keen to try brushing, you can purchase a natural bristle brush from Healthy U and Carrefour. Opt for one with a long handle to help you get to those hard-to-reach spots!
Keep this up for 30 days and you’re bound to see a difference!