Back when Sharon Mundia and I were celebrating an incredible milestone on 30th of September, 2016, Our2Cents’ one hundredth episode, the entire crew flew to the dreamy and crystal clear turquoise waters of Maldives!
The Republic of Maldives, which issues free tourist visas for all nationalities upon arrival, is located in the Indian Ocean southwest of India and Sri Lanka.
During our stay on a one kilometer by 400 meter island, home to Club Med Kani, I learned how to make an authentic Maldivian Style Fish Curry that was so delicious I had to share the recipe!
Maldivian Style Fish Curry
Yield: 10 portions
Preparation time: 30 minutes
500g Reef fish cut into 2 cm cubes – You can substitute with any white fish
10g Ginger, finely chopped
50g Shallot slices
20g Garlic, roughly chopped
10g Chili powder
15g Cumin powder
10g Tumeric powder
4 pieces of Cardamom
2 Curry leaves
5 cm of Cinnanmon stick
150ml Coconut milk
30ml Sunflower oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in sauce pan, fry onion, ginger, garlic, and curry leaves until the onions are golden brown
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, chili powder, turmeric, cumin and curry powder and cook until you can smell the aromas
- Add fish and half of coconut milk and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes
- Stir occasionally and add remaining coconut milk. Simmer until fish is tender and sauce is slightly thick.
- Serve with plain rice or chapatti