‘Hack’ has grown to be one of my favourite words in the past year considering how many incredible beauty tricks I learned that changed my beauty game.
From multi-masking to the different ways you could use cotton buds and why turmeric should be in your skin regimen, 2016 allowed me to explore new beauty tips that I thought it best to start the new year with some good ones we could all try.
And what better way than with some essential oils hacks?
For centuries, these oils have been used for their healing and therapeutic properties by different communities and for the past couple of years, they have found their way into my skin regimen.
Here are some interesting new ways to use essential oils:
- Calming Room Spray – There’s nothing like walking into a room that smells like lavender, some fragrant bergamot and stress-relieving petitgrain. I’m obsessed with the Cinnabar Green natural room spray which always leaves my rooms smelling like a spa after a quick spray. You could either buy your room or create your own using water and your favourite essential oil.
2. Dry Scalp Treatment – If you happen to suffer from dandruff and an itchy scalp, try adding a few drops of aloe vera and peppermint oil to your usual treatment for some extra relief. Not only will it help cool your scalp, it’ll also rejuvenate your hair.
3. De-stress Steam Facial – Tired after a long day at work? Fill a bowl with hot water and add lemon, eucalyptus and lavender essential oils and drape a towel over your head. Besides helping with stress, a good steam treatment should give your skin a lovely glow.
4. A Calming Sleep – The quickest way to ensure you wake up on the right side of the bed is to get enough sleep the night before. To create a natural sleep mist, mix water with lavender oil (or petitgrain oil if you prefer the scent) to help give you a relaxing night.
5. Acne Spot Treatment – I’ve been doing this for a while and have been quite happy with the results. Every time I feel a spot coming on, I pour a couple drops of tea tree oil onto a cotton bud and dab it on that area. It helps dry out the pimple and cleanse the area at the same time.