By Pinky Ghelani
I have always been a spa girl, if you will. The idea of getting away from it all is ideal and having someone pamper you is the idea of a mini vacation. The scents of the essential oils and the sounds of tinkling bells and gongs in the distance puts my mind at ease. The ambience of a cozy, dim lit room allows me to just switch off.
They say for general health and wellness one should aim to get a body massage at least once or twice a month. If you ask me – I would do it every week! Alas, where does time permit? If you are in chronic pain or going to have a body massage then I would recommend you take advice from an expert. Remember going to the spa does not necessarily mean that you have to totally undress and have a stranger oil you up and massage you, it can also mean a pedicure or a facial. What tickles your fancy?
I had the pleasure of sampling a few spas in town and with their different treatments, I have to say that Nairobi city is pretty well stocked in the spa department. Clients are even spoilt for choice. Here are some spa tips to keep in mind for when you next book your treatment.
1. Be prepared to have oil everywhere – but that is ok, most spas have nice hot showers and fresh clean towels – carry a change of clothes so you feel nice and refreshed after your treatment.
2. Talk in low tones – even though it looks like there is no one else but you, trust me, most spas usually have their regulars or walk ins. Just remember to be as silent as possible when you are in their surroundings. They value that in a customer.
3. Switch off your mobile phone. Not only does it go hand in hand with the silence appreciated in the above point, but it also gives you a break. You do not want to be available to all the emails, texts, whats app messages and phone calls when you are indulging in some me time.
4. Don’t be in a rush. Plan your treatment in such a way that you don’t have to meet anyone for lunch after or pick the kids from school. Most spas allow you to while away your time post treatment on their outdoor benches as you enjoy a fruit platter and some herbal tea on the house.
5. Don’t be afraid to request the spa for something you may need, most spas go over and above their services and are very receptive to requests. Of course, you may need to pay for anything extra, but never feel that you cannot ask the management or staff of the spa to assist you in having a more pleasurable experience.
Try and relax and enjoy your treatment, switch off from the world and wholly enjoy your ‘me’ time, your body will love you for it.