As a child, I remember cod liver oil being a staple in our home. There was a never a day where my brother and I wouldn’t have to line up in the kitchen to take a big gulp of that fishy, pungent syrup – something that we immensely dreaded.
My mother wouldn’t trust us to take it on our own (remind me to tell you about the pumpkin incident one day) so she’d have to make sure she serves us that large tablespoon herself every evening.
Fast-forward to my adult self and here I am preaching cod liver oil to you, albeit the tablet form which is a lot less of an assault on your palette.
I’ve been diligently taking these supplements for the past couple of years and there’s no doubt that it’s had a huge impact on my skin and my immune system! I’m not a fan of taking tablets but had I known there’s an alternative to the syrup growing up, I probably wouldn’t have embraced this rich, super supplement many years ago.
Benefits of Cod Liver Oil
Extracted from fish, this oil is a great source of omega 3 acids and contains large amounts of vitamin A and vitamin D.
Here are some incredible health and beauty benefits of this supplement.
- Clearer skin: If you happen to have breakouts regularly, be prepared to be pleasantly surprised! This supplement really helps cure scars and clears up skin.
- Better brain activity: Believe it or not, because of the high levels of Vitamin D, cod liver oil is said to improve cognitive performance. Maybe give it a try next time you’ve got a big project coming up?
- Boosts immune system: This is the number one reason we were force-fed cod liver oil as children. The large levels of vitamin D helps make sure that it helps promote bone health and defend the body.
- Helps prevent heart disease: Cod liver oil can help lower dangerous fats in the blood that would ultimately raise your risk of getting heart disease. And you know what they say, prevention is better than cure!
- Combats dry skin: If you’re looking for a healthier glow and to prevent any dry, itchy patches, you’ll find a friend in this supplement. It helps reduce levels of leukotriene B4 which has been linked to dryness of the skin.
- Healthy hair: If you have been suffering from hair loss or want some shine and luster back in your hair, the supplements will help nourish hair follicles and promote growth.
- Helps treat diabetes: This supplement can help manage blood sugar levels as well as control insulin resistance. In fact, studies show that using cod liver oil during pregnancy can help lower the risk of developing diabetes.
And there you have it! 7 reasons why this natural supplement should be part of your daily picks.
If you do try out, tweet us @CFMLifestyle and let us know how it’s been working for you!