#MustWatch: ‘Ghanaian Sex and the City’ returns with season 2

An African City show

Dubbed “Africa’s version of Sex in the City”, online show “An African City” became a YouTube sensation when it debuted back in 2014. Now about to air its second season, FRANCE 24 went to meet the start and creators of a show taking Africa by storm.

Fans love it for the fashion, the fun and its fresh perspective on African life – and the show’s first season racked up more than two million views online.

“There is a certain group of Ghanaian women who are now seeing themselves reflected on TV: Young, modern, working,” says Maame Adjei, who plays Zainab, one of the five main characters.

“If you hear any stories coming out of Africa it’s about poverty. But now viewers are seeing young, dynamic women on TV, I think that’s been the biggest thing.”

The show’s main characters are all young, single, successful and independent women of African descent who have returned to the continent after living abroad.

Bringing women together

Creator and writer Nicole Amatafio believes that their multicultural backgrounds are what appeals to many of the show’s fans.

“My favourite comment on Youtube was a woman who wrote: ‘I’m Puerto Rican, born in New York but live in Italy, and what do I have in common with all these women? Everything!’” she says.

But the programme hasn’t been without its critics. Scenes of single women having sex has shocked some in conservative, Christian Ghana.

But the show’s writers want to provoke that debate.

“It is so crucial for us to create space to have honest conversations about sex in a society and culture like Ghana where women are really shamed and judged for even having a sexuality,” says Esther Yarmah, a script supervisor on “An African City”.

The show’s second season promises more of the same: glamour, sex and soul-searching … all done in killer heels.

1. Avatar Afriti Kizee May 3rd, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Is dog meat unfit for human consumption? I dont eat dog but I understand some part of the world do! And I did not know that there is a law prohibiting dog eating locally!?

2. Avatar Bkimani May 4th, 2012 at 12:57 am

Obama ate dog meat. Its okay for Kenyans to eat dogs.

3. Avatar Okarip May 4th, 2012 at 7:03 am

These kind of laws  are the remnants of colonialism ,telling people when and what to eat. Nothing that goes into the stomach is bad rather what comes out .Dogs are clean animals that is why we tame them and so are juicy for ameal. Please let the  man eat the already slaugthered one just for once!

4. Avatar Hilda Biegon May 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am

Japanese and Chinese eat Dog meat. Then how is it harmful to human consumption?

5. Avatar Geoffrey Galo May 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am

I think dogs have nice meat compared to snakes and pigs, coz this one’s you find them on gabbages eating horrible things that one can’t bliv…. let us just be realistic guys… go to forests near tell me whether you can find a snake, where are they going to if not in the many chinese restourant’s we see a round? Dogy sio mbaya…

6. Avatar Mbemba Nziu May 4th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I personally have  eaten dog, donkey, snake, snail,crocodile, frogs, termites, tortoise name it, and they are just fine some even sweeter than common meats. I didn’t know a dog is unfit for human consumption I thought it was personal choice.

Mbemba.