While there is no official scientific definition of a Superfood we have to make do with what has been believed over time by health enthusiasts… that a ‘superfood’ is food that is considered to be very good for your health and may even help some medical conditions.
Below are some 30 foods that are considered Superfoods and which you definitely need to consume more of as they are nutrient packed foods that can help fight disease, make you feel energetic and even help you lose weight.
1. Cauliflower – It is packed with cancer-fighting glucosinolates.
2. Tea -Both black and green tea may help prevent hardening of the arteries.
3. Apples -Contain quercetin which is an antioxidant that may reduce risk of lung cancer.
4. Sweet potatoes- These are said to deliver the required daily dose of vitamin A, which protects vision and the immune system.
5. Sunflower seeds- They deliver the required daily dose of vitamin E which helps with heart health while helping fight infections.
6. Soy milk- This is a good source of protein while the calcium-enriched version contains as much calcium and vitamin D as cow’s milk.
7. Berries: Blueberries are known to help improve memory by protecting your brain from inflammation and boosting communication between brain cells. While Blackberries boast more antioxidant properties than all other the berries.
8. Walnuts A handful of these contain more than twice the daily dose of alpha-linolenic acid which is an omega-3 fat that’s been shown to improve memory and coordination. Brazil nuts are the king of selenium. One nut delivers your entire day’s Selenium needs.
9. Grapes are a great source of resveratrol which is the plant chemical responsible for the heart-healthy benefits of red wine.
10. Yogurt is a great Probiotic which helps with proper functioning of the digestive system.
11. Brown rice is a great source of the mineral Magnesium which acts as a catalyst for chemical reactions in the body.
12. Acai juice which is rich in anthocyanin can dramatically boost the amount of antioxidants in your blood.
13. Eggs are packed with proteins and are a good choice for breakfast if you want to lose some pounds.
14. Avocados contain healthy fat giving one the feeling of fullness for longer as well as helping your body absorb other important nutrients.
15. Asparagus – A serving of Asparagus supplies your body with half of your daily bone-building vitamin K and about 1/3 of your day’s folate, It also helps get rid of bloating.
16 . Oranges contain an abundance of vitamin C required in a day. . It’s also a good source of calcium and folate.
17. Steel-cut oats are the less processed version of oats and they are digested slower keeping you fuller for longer.
18. Prunes are packed with polyphenols which are said to boost bone density by stimulating your bone-building cells.
19. Flaxseeds are loaded with plant omega-3s and they are rich in lignans which is a compound that is said to help prevent endometrial and ovarian cancer.
20. Strawberries are loaded with ellagitannins, phytochemicals which may help stop the growth of cervical and colon cancers.
21. Mushrooms are packed with Vitamin D.
22. Lentils are a great source of plant protein as well as a good source of folate (the latter is especially beneficial especially to expectant mothers and their unborn babies).
23. Salmon contains all the heart-smart omega-3s you need for a well functioning body.
24. Black beans are loaded with protein, fiber, and flavonoids and not forgetting those very important antioxidants that help your arteries stay relaxed and pliable.
25. Bananas are loaded with Potassium and not forgetting the good kind of good fiber.
26. Milk –Refer to soymilk above. The only difference between the two is that one is animal-based and the other one plant-based.
27. Spinach – Half a cup of this superfood provides more than 5 times your daily dose of vitamin K, which helps deal with blood clots and also aids in the building of strong bones. Sukuma wiki on the other hand contain vitamin A, zeaxanthin and lutein, which do wonders for your eyesight..
28. Kiwis are high in vitamin C which means everything to your immune system.
29. Broccoli are famous for their cancer-preventing compound glucoraphanin.
30. Brussels sprouts contain lots and lots of glucosinolates which help combat cancer and helps to detoxify our bodies.