Mangoes are fleshy, delicious, tropical fruits that are mostly available in the country towards the end of the year into the first quarter. The mango fruit is packed with natural goodness as you will find out below.
I cup of mangoes (225grams) contains the following
76 percent vitamin C
25 percent vitamin A
11 percent vitamin B6 plus other B vitamins
9 percent healthy probiotic fibre
9 percent copper
7 percent potassium
4 percent magnesium
- Mangoes contain antioxidants that help protect the body against colon, prostate, breast and leukemia cancers.
- The high level of Vitamin C, pectin and fibres contained in mangoes help lower cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Mangoes act as skin cleansers as they have abilities to unclog pores and add freshness to your face.
- A mango can alkalize your body since it is rich in tartaric acid, malic acid as well as citric acid that helps to maintain the alkali reserve of the body.
- If you need to lose some weight, mangoes should be your go to fruits. They contain several vitamins and nutrients and also plenty of fibre which aid in digestive function of the body by burning extra calories.
- Mango leaves will help regulate Diabetes. Boiling the leaves and drinking the “juice” can help regulate insulin levels in the body.
- Mangoes are said to aid concentration and memory as they contain glutamine acid that keeps cells alive hence boosting memory.
- For people suffering from anemia, mangoes can sort you out as they are rich in iron.
- Mangoes contain enzymes that help break down protein hence aid in digestion.
- Since mangoes are rich in Vitamin A, they help promote good eye sight, prevent night blindness and also fight dry eyes.
- Mangoes are said to increase virility in men hence making it an aphrodisiac of some sort. In some countries it is known as the “love fruit”.
- Because of its high Vitamins content and the different kinds of carotenoids, mangoes will help strengthen your immune system.