By Lyndy Mansfield
These three products beginning with “V” are extremely versatile in many walks of life, especially around the home.
Here are a few surprising uses of Vanilla, Vaseline and Vegetable Oil:
- Vanilla extract is not only used for cooking. It has a lovely perfume for starters and many a housewife has been known to dab a little behind her ears and on the wrists while in the kitchen!
- Use vanilla to freshen up your fridge and microwave. For the fridge, simply wipe down the sides with a vanilla infused cloth. You can leave a cotton wool ball soaked in vanilla in the fridge too.
- For the microwave, pour a few drops in a bowl and switch on to high for a little less than a minute.
- Bugs hate the smell of vanilla and will scarper.
- This is also good if you burn yourself. Apply it immediately and the alcohol in it will have a soothing effect.
- Vaseline has, in some instances, become unacceptable for beauty products and general health, because of the petroleum contained in the gel, but…
- Any lock that has become old and sticky will be eased with a thin layer of Vaseline inside the lock. This will loosen up the mechanism.
- Watermarks on highly polished wood will usually disappear if you put on a layer of Vaseline and leave overnight.
- Vaseline smeared along the base of dogs’ and cats’ food bowls will keep off ants. They can’t cope with that slippery slide!
- Quiten squeaky door hinges and at the same time protect them from rusting.
- A little will shine your shoes and bags.
- A few dabs on battery terminals will protect them from rusting.
- If you apply some of the oil to your bird baths you will stop mosquitoes from breeding in the the stagnant water. It won’t harm the birds.
- A little vegetable oil will shine up your stainless steel. Buff well afterwards with a soft cloth and then look at your reflection!
- The oil will assist in the removal of splinters. Apply a dab to the area which will soften the skin. Then gently remove the splinter.
- Vegetable oil is ideal to nourish all your wooden appliances, like spoons, cutting boards. servers and salad bowls, as it is a very good and safe lubricant and conditioner.