Don’t let traditional, Christmas temptations thwart a year of healthy eating and the pursuit of your ideal goal weight.
It’s easy to let your guard down and lose sight of your weight-loss goals when faced with delicious rich gravies, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, sweet cranberry sauces and delectable trifles. Fortunately, sticking to a healthy diet over Christmas doesn’t have to be a bore – there are lots of healthy alternatives that are just as tasty and in keeping with traditional fare.
“Simply apply sound nutritional principles,” advises Mary Holroyd, founder and Chairman of Weigh-Less. “Let them guide you through the pitfalls that face us during the season that is generally associated with excess and gluttony!”
5 Ways to lose weight over Christmas
Heidi Lobel, Weigh-Less dietitian, recommends the following tips to help you reach your weight-loss goals:
1. It’s all about choice! Prepare meals with healthy ingredients and load up your fridge and pantry with low GI and low-fat options. This will ensure that you enjoy meals with the same great taste, but with fewer kilojoules.
2. Carefully manage your portion sizes. Don’t pick whilst cooking, or have second helpings at meal times.
3. Never attend a function or family gathering feeling ravenous. You may be tempted to overindulge in poor food choices. Snack on fruit, lean biltong or low-fat yoghurt before you arrive.
4. Combine low-fat proteins with your low GI carbohydrates. This will help you feel fuller for longer and it can go a long way towards maximising weight loss.
5. Don’t expect to be perfect. If you overindulge at a specific meal, get straight back to following your healthy Eating Plan. Don’t let one moment of weakness ruin all your progress.