“Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane is to host the 2013 Oscars awards show in February, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Monday.
MacFarlane, whose big screen directing debut “Ted” was a blockbuster hit earlier this year, will have a tough act to follow after veteran host Billy Crystal returned to the Oscars this year.
“We are thrilled to have Seth MacFarlane host the Oscars. His performing skills blend perfectly with our ideas for making the show entertaining and fresh,” said the show’s producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.
“He will be the consummate host, and we are so happy to be working with him,” added the producers of the February 24 show, the climax of Hollywood’s annual awards season.
MacFarlane, who launched the Emmy-winning animated situation comedy “Family Guy” in 1999, said: “It’s truly an overwhelming privilege to be asked to host the Oscars.
“My thoughts upon hearing the news were, one, I will do my utmost to live up to the high standards set forth by my predecessors; and two, I hope they don’t find out I hosted the Charlie Sheen Roast.”
MacFarlane, who won plaudits for “Ted” — about a foul-mouthed, drug-taking and womanizing cuddly toy bear — hosted the event for perennially troubled TV actor Sheen last year.
Academy President Hawk Koch added: “Seth is unbelievably talented…. We couldn’t be happier with the creative team we’ve assembled. With Craig, Neil, and now Seth, we’re off to a great start.”
Veteran comic Crystal hosted the Oscars for a ninth time this year, brought in at the last minute after Eddie Murphy pulled out amid a storm over gay slur comments by the show’s producer, who also withdrew.
The year before that was less successful: actors James Franco and Anne Hathaway, reportedly chosen to reach out to younger audiences, were widely criticized, with Franco’s wooden performance drawing particular scorn.