There are so many types of bags and yes, they each have a name. Most people describe bags by color or the detail on the bags for example studs or holes or zips… instead of using the name/type of bag for distinction. Bags like most things are named after a feature they have, like shape or size or after what they resemble. Here is a tutorial of some of the popular ones.
1. Hobo bag – This is a bag that tends to slouch when carried. It is a soft, large bag that is characterized by a crescent shape. Of course there are many different sizes and shapes. Apparently it was named a hobo because it resembles the shape of the bindle on a stick that “hobos” carry over their shoulder as in drawings and cartoons.
2. Clutch bag – A small evening bag that is usually without a handle. a bag with no handles that must be carried clasped in one hand or under the arm.
3. Tote bag– A sturdy and rectangular bag with an open top that got its inspiration from a shopping bag and can be of medium to large bag with two medium length strap handles. The inside may have zip compartments.
4. Satchel – a structured bag with double handles usually made of leather and has a wide flat bottom and can either be zippered or clasped at the top.
5. Doctor’s bag –Can also be a satchel depending on its size. Generally, it is a bag that got its inspiration from a doctor’s bag used to carry medicine and a couple of documents
6. Bowling bag – As the name suggests, it is inspired by a bowling bag
7. Bucket bag – This is a roomy bag that usually has an open top and shoulder strap and is shaped like a bucket.
8. Sling bag – a bag with a long strap that may be similar to a messenger bag but it is smaller than the messenger bag
9. Baguette – A small, long rectangular bag
11. Messenger bag – a bag with a long strap that is worn across the body
12. Backpack – This bag has double handles, supported by both shoulders and carried on the back.
13. Minaudiere – small evening bag embezzled with pieces of deco stones or beads.
14. Duffel bag– A large bag that is usually used for travel or sports. It is long, horizontal and cylinder in shape with short handles.
I hope you’ve learnt something new 😉