National short story competition

Accuracy_240437580.jpgSeptember 14,

Kwani Trust has announced a national short story competition titled, ‘The Kenya I live In’. At stake is the Winner’s prize of Kes. 100,000. The first and second runner up get Kes. 75,000/- and 50,000/- respectively. This is in addition to being published in the next edition of Kwani’s journal Kwani 6?

The competition is open to all writers born after 1978. Writers are supposed to write adult fiction of between 3,000 – 8,000 words along the theme ‘The Kenya I live in’, in either English, Kiswahili or sheng.

The entries must be unpublished (submissions previously published in magazines are also accepted).

The deadline for receipt of all entries is October 26,2009. All receipts must be typed and sent as a Word document to mykenyakwani@gmail.com or by post to P. O. Box 2895 – 00100, Nairobi (no handwritten scripts).

Winners will be announced in December 2009.

For more information: www.kwani.org email kwanior@kwani.org

1. Kamtech September 25th, 2012 at 4:24 pm

ok,now we undestand.can our medics quickly go back to work.

1. kaka September 26th, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Not until their demands are met!! In my view, the arrogance will encourage change of demands

2. doreen September 26th, 2012 at 10:14 am

This seems to be a clear issue….but on the workplace environment,what is the use of having multiple facilities without equipment or personnel;can’t we focus on few efficient facilities?

1. kaka September 26th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Thats a wise idea

3. Anon September 26th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Where as I understand where Waziri is coming from, there is still something I wish we could get clarification on

Why do the self-sponsored students leave the government programme?

4. Moses September 26th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Our good doctors should also commit to work full time like every other public servant. The current situation where they put in 2-3hrs a day and retreat to their private clinics must not be tolerated.

5. mkenyamvumilivu September 26th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

yes this is very true,but plz nyong’o don’t try toy with us. our current health institutions are a joke.medical officers are at risk of contracting diseases when ever they walk into their work place.you on the other hand,do not use this health facilities(lucky you)so you are not in a hurry of resolving this matter.
    Resources are misused first by having to ministries dealing with health your and Beth’s.
    The medics have issues that touch on Wanjiku,so lets not fool ourselves.Address the matter with a sober mind like you’ve done above without insulting your voters(kes 2,000.00 lunch)

6. gg September 26th, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Nyongo is a poor performing Minister. Actually the worst performing minister in the same league as Waititu. Whereas the others talk of dialogue, he talks of firing doctors and hiring others like they are idle at Uhuru park tarmarking for jobs. Kenya has one of the lowest doctor-patient ratio and firing doctors doesnt help the case. Nyongo has the luxury of jumping into a private jet to seek medicare in the US/ Canada like he did a couple of months ago. He clearly showed us the confidence he has in the institution he heads as its Minister.

7. JeffM September 26th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Now you have put in a very eloquent article in a blog and we have understood. Case solved. Can our medics now urgently and happily go back to work Prof? I put it to to you sir that yours is a case of delusion.

8. kaka September 26th, 2012 at 6:24 pm

If I was a sadist I would not only curse this minister but wish him worse, but for the sake of my religious inclination I restrain…..only because of that!!! I have worked in a government facility and I have suffered under the blunt of the poor conditions, and I hate it!! I have seen lives that could have been saved lost.
    What’s more painful is the thought that all this could have been evaded had little effort been put.

Doctors deal with delicate issues so alot is expected of them…sometimes beyond what they can deliver. Unfortunately the government offers very little support to meet these demands.

For the few of us who still feel the doctors have no course to go on strike….next time you have a relative who is admitted in one of our provincial hospitals and they need transfusion be careful!!

For the registrar….its only in Kenya that registrar are not pain. These guys pay school feel to study (by the way I am one of them) and then we end up exposed to a working environment instead of study environment. The recent remarks by the VC UoN Proff. Magogha just add salt to the injury….where on earth is someone expected to work for 80 hours in a week? Even prisoners who are under punishment do not do that much!!!

1 thing is for sure though….Nyong’o is a minister from the ODM party, clearly I can see how his party ideologies will rule this country…atleast as it pertains to human resource. in that I have a REASON NOT TO VOTE FOR ODM.